Saturday, September 18, 2010

Seduction of the Innocent.




So, I don't know how big of a geek you are. You may not be as dorky as I am and if you are not, I guess what you see here is a naked lady covering her bits with comic books. So...yay! Naked lady! Nothing wrong with that. If you are a bit of a comic geek, you may recognize the title of this "pin-up" girl (and yeah, I use that term loosely. I call them (Oh, there are more naked ladies!) my "Nerdy Girls" and I love drawing them...but we'll talk about that some other time.)...where was I? Oh right, the title...see in 1954 there was a book published by one Frederick Wertham. It was called "Seduction of the Innocent" and basically, it said that comics were bad and would cause all manners of juvenile delinquency. That, naturally, alarmed people. There were hearings and a Congressional investigation and some hub-bub and the next thing you know, there's the Comic-Code, which was basically like a movie rating that told people, "Hey, this book is not appropriate for you! It will make you a bad person!" 

So, see, the title is a play on words. Get it? There's a lot more to the Frederick Wertham story. And it's odd, because the book and the hearings seem to have been pretty sensationalized, and...well...ok, remember the PMRC? Kind of like that.  Maybe worse. Which would make this naked lady a little inappropriate. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment